Best Mountain Bike Computers – Guide & Reviews
Ask any biker what is the fun of riding a mountain bike without a mountain bike computer is, and they will tell you that it is not fun at all. Sporting activities like mountain biking have embraced high technological computers that come with numerous functions and features making this sporty event a catchy one.
After all, technology comes a lot of misconceptions especially about these mountain bike computers, example some of the misconceptions is that they are very large and intrusive. However, the truth of the matter is that these devices are very compact, convenient and versatile.
In fact, there are so many bike computers being launched, and I have started following up on devices that have survived in the market. The reason I have personally gone through some of the bike computers currently in the market is the pride to find the most innovative and high performing options for you.
- How To Choose The Best Mountain Bike Computers
- Wired Or Wireless Computer Bike
- 1. Raniaco Bike Computer multi-function
- 2. Cateye Velo 9 Cycling Computer
- 3. ENGREPO Bike Computer
- 4. Sigma Sport BC5.12 Wired Bicycle Computer
- 5. Cateye Wireless 10-Function Bicycle Computer
- 6. Zacro Bike Computer with Compass Key Ring
- Final Words
How To Choose The Best Mountain Bike Computers
Now that your mind is set on getting a mountain bike computer for yourself, it is important that you note that there are crucial elements that you must confirm before getting a bike computer. Some of the elements include:
Once you spot a mountain bike computer that you wish to purchase, it is important to look at factors like the durability of the device. This will include the material used in the making of the device, the performance index of the device, the battery life and most important is to know if it can withstand all the duties that come about in cycling. Knowing the durability of a device will assist if finding the best mountain bike computer.
The functions of a device are vital in choosing the best mountain bike computer. Each device comes with a range of functions that it is designed to perform, a good biker must be able to distinguish between the functions he or she wants and the functions the device has to offer. A multi-functioning device is the best when it comes to functionality, but you also need a multi-function bike computer that can be able to areas your needs and still provide other additional functions that are important.
The price of a mountain bike computer is also important, and you need to go within your budget and ensure you do not get into unnecessary loans just by trying to have something expensive. You should also know that some devices do not have a value for money meaning they are too expensive for nothing; thus I would advise that you stick to your budget and so some pricing research.
Wired Or Wireless Computer Bike
It is important that you understand these two designs of a mountain bike computer. You should not that a wireless bike computer will consist of all functions provided by a wired bike computer. This is an important element because you do not require additional wire cords running around your mountain bike.
1. Raniaco Bike Computer multi-function
Without the right bike computer, you will not feel the need of having one in your mountain bike, the Raniaco bike computer multi-function is at your disposal. This device is made with a sole purpose of making you reach the greater heights in mountain biking.
The bike computer is a unique modern day, wireless computer with a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) which is easy to read. On the display, there are also two buttons that will help you as a user adjust your computer and also make changes to the settings.
The small size of the device comes equipped with multifunction roles such a bicycle odometer and speedometer, measuring the riding time, distance covered, and the maximum or average speed. Convenient for you as a user to track your progress during bike riding.
Raniaco bike computer has a wireless and waterproof design which makes it more convenient for any terrain and also durable.
- Designed with a quick rechargeable battery.
- LCD display lights up at night to preserve battery life.
- Easy to install and it is fairly configured well.
- Mounts easily to the bike handlebars and has a nice compact size
- The waterproof feature provides peace of mind and can be used in any terrain or weather.
- Produces a rattling sound that can irritate you at times.
2. Cateye Velo 9 Cycling Computer
Thy cycling computer is designed with a large screen display that is easy to read, and it also comes with pre-programmed tire sizes for easier set up ensuring a systematic functioning. This makes it an ideal computer to use on your bike.
The computer has an average speed feature as well as a pace arrow to show how slow or fast you go compared to the average speed. You can enjoy maximum speed recording that you can show and brag to your buddies just how fast you were going.
There is also a new feature called the carbon offset measurement feature that helps you to track how much you have helped the environment by riding.
- Has a single button to scroll through features easier and fast without taking your eyes off the road.
- The display has large numbers to make it easier to check your speed at a glance, no straining to see.
- The clock feature also ensures you can be able to get home in time.
- Comes with plenty of zipping ties.
- Simple installation process.
- It cannot be moved or remounted after installation.
- The software needs massive improvements on the calories counter it gives general estimates
3. ENGREPO Bike Computer
This device has a large LCD display that is easy to read and it promotes bicycle safety. Reading of the data is also quick, and at a glance, so you will be concentrated on the road fully. The backlighting is also readable under low light conditions.
This computer bike is also waterproof and wireless in design making it extremely durable, also performs very well under the harshest condition of the weather, and there is no sight of ugly wires moving from one point to the other.
As a mountain biker, it also feels good when you get a device that offers several multi-functions: like measuring speed, tracking time, distance and other biking essentials making this a suitable device for biking admirers.
- Suitable for all type of bikes not restricted to mountain bikes only.
- Large display is making it easy to read.
- Reading is accurate and reliable.
- Durable in all weather conditions.
- Displays stay on for a few seconds enough to ensure reading and preserving battery life.
- Hard and resistance buttons.
- Poor build quality.
- Battery may be faulty at times
- Vague installation manual.
4. Sigma Sport BC5.12 Wired Bicycle Computer
Most people like simplicity, this makes work easier and fast. For bikers simplicity is another word for the Sigma Sport BC5.13 wired bicycle computer, this is one of the most simple to use bike computers. With this device, there is no straining in functionality.
It is designed to perform five specific functions which include: measuring the total distance, speed, clock, ride time, and the distance. This is simple functions for a biker who knows what he or she wants in a bike computer.
With this device, you will also enjoy a single button operation, which is easier to use and control. The full-text display is also available for you, and it comes equipped with large fonts that are easy to read during riding. Safety, while riding is guaranteed as this device, requires little attention.
This bike computer is also easy to program and comes with a free installation tool, and I mean free installation tool who would not want that surely? The bike computer also comes with an optional USB docking station that is downloadable. Now, this is the ultimate beast when it comes to bike computers.
- Easy to use and also to set up is easy.
- The single button is easier to use.
- Can be adjusted for any tire size.
- Low budget computer.
- The device is accurate than some GPS computers.
- The battery is not rechargeable
- Resetting the device is a difficult task.
- Not wireless and uses cords for connectivity.
5. Cateye Wireless 10-Function Bicycle Computer
It is embarrassing to go to a mountain biking competition, and you are the only one without a bike computer on your bike, surely how would you feel? People will be watching you like an alien from another planet. The Cateye wireless 10-function bicycle computer is the new way to go.
This device boasts of ten super functions and a couple of other features essential for your bike riding activity. It also displays Light Emitting Diode (LED) backlight display with easy to read large fonts.
The device measures the current, average and maximum speeds, it also gives you as a user a total distance and also the time elapsed. The clock reading comes in either a 12 or 24-hour system, you are entitled to use the type of time format that you want, and this device gives you that option.
Auto power saving feature that helps in safeguarding the battery life of the device. Both the computer and sensors on this device run on special batteries that weigh only 30 grams.
- Comes with mounting accessories, wireless receiver, and sensor
- Installation is easy.
- Fully equipped with automatic start, stop, sleep modes, and power saving options.
- Easy to read display.
- Easy to use bracket mounts on both handlebars and stem.
- Wireless pickup is a little bit bulky.
6. Zacro Bike Computer with Compass Key Ring
With this device, your riding life can be more scientific and reasonable. There are no mishaps with this device, and it proves to be one of the best bike computers in the current market. It makes your biking life simple, and it comes equipped with a compass ring that will never let you lose your way no matter the place you are going.
This device is convenient and portable hence it is light and small ensuring that you get the important information that monitors your activities in biking. Another important design is that the device is water-resistant and can be used it wet terrain or even on a rainy weather.
It is also important to note that this device can be used in any other bicycle like the common bicycle, folding bike, road cycling and also mountain biking. After all, all bikers want their bicycles to have bike computers.
- Has a compass ring for showing direction.
- Easy to install and use.
- Easy to read display with big numbers.
- Water resistant making it durable in all weather conditions
- Can be used in different bicycles.
- Produces a rattling sound when in use.
In the current market, different types of mountain bike computers are being sold around. With the improvements in technology, these bike computers come equipped with some of the latest technologies, hence making mountain biking easier and fun.
To get the best-performing mountain bike computer, do not let the wide variety of mountain bike computers confuse you. Every computer bike has a way of persuading you, and I have only reviewed the best mountain bike computers that can provide the best performance you need.
Mountain bike computers when used properly have the ability to give accurate and reasonable statistics that you can use to monitor your biking progress and see on the areas to improve or work on.